The Tier 2 (General) category is for foreign nationals who have been offered a skilled job to fill a gap in the workforce that cannot be filled by a settled worker.

If you want to apply for Tier 2 General visa, you must be sponsored by a UK employer who has the Tier 2 sponsor licence. The applicant must comply with all the requirements of codes of practice for employers including the job level, minimum salary etc.

The employer / Tier 2 sponsor issues two types of certificates of sponsorship for the employee / applicant to apply for Tier 2 General visa:

  • Restricted Certificate of Sponsorship (usually used to apply from outside the UK unless you are applying to switch from Tier 4 Dependant to Tier 2 General from inside the UK)
  • Unrestricted Certificate Of Sponsorship (usually used to apply from inside the UK)

Various applications under Tier 2 General visa catetory are as given below:

Entry Clearance As Tier 2 General

Switching Into Tier 2 General

Tier 2 General Extension

Dependents of Tier 2 General Migrant

ILR Tier 2 General