You can apply for a partner visa for the UK as a fiancé(e), proposed civil partner, spouse, unmarried partner, civil partner and same-sex partner to join your UK partner in the UK. Once in the UK on a partner visa, you can continue to extend your visa until you qualify for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK. If you are already in the UK on another type of UK visa, you may be able to switch to a partner visa from inside the UK. However, it is pertinent to note that fiancé(e) visa and proposed civil partner visa applications can only be made from outside the UK, and there is no option under the law for a person to apply for a fiancé(e) visa or proposed civil partner visa from inside the UK.

Applications For Spouse/Partner Visa Visa UK

Following are the various categories of applications under the spouse/partner visa route for staying in the UK on the basis of a relationship with the UK-qualifying partner/spouse: 

Specialist Spouse/Partner Visa Solicitors

Our expert team of partner visa solicitors are specialists in applications for entry clearance as a partner, switching into a partner visa, renewal of a partner visa and ILR as a partner/spouse. As one of the best partner visa solicitors in London, Manchester and Birmingham, we have a wealth of knowledge and experience to provide high-quality fixed fee legal services for partner visa applications. Ask a question to our expert partner visa lawyers for free immigration advice, or book an appointment for detailed immigration advice concerning your application for a partner visa.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Spouse/Partner Visa UK

Following are the various frequently asked questions (FAQs) about spouse/partner visa UK: 

Partner visa route is for those seeking to enter or remain in the UK based on their family life with a person who is:

  • a British Citizen,
  • settled in the UK (holding ILR / settled status)
  • in the UK with limited leave as a refugee or person granted humanitarian protection
  • in the UK with limited leave under Appendix EU
  • in the UK with limited leave as a worker or business person by virtue of either Appendix ECAA Extension of Stay or under the provisions of the relevant 1973 Immigration Rules (or Decision 1/80) that underpinned the European Community Association Agreement (ECAA) with Turkey before 1 January 2021.

Partner visa applications include those for spouses, civil partners, unmarried partners, and same-sex partners of the UK partner. An unmarried partner or same-sex partner is someone who has been living with a UK partner in a relationship akin to a marriage or civil partnership for at least two years before the date of application. All applications for the partner visa are made under Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules.

There are two routes to settlement (ILR) under the partner visa route which are:

  • 5 years partner visa route (this route leads to ILR after 5 years)
  • 10 years partner visa route (this route leads to ILR after 10 years)

You can submit your partner visa entry clearance application from outside the UK using a Priority Service to get a decision within 30 working days. For all in-country applications as a spouse/partner, you can use the Super Priority Service to get a decision within 24 hours. As specialist family visa solicitors, we are registered with the Home Office, UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) to provide Priority Service and Super Priority Service for spouse/partner visa applications.